(tl;dr) Neverland—a fast-growing (🌱 pun intended) early-stage startup is seeking a contract Product Designer with 3-5+ years of experience who has a passion for designing clean, simple, and thoughtful experiences for mobile and web. As a product designer at Neverland, you'll be working directly on high-impact, user-facing product experience impacting plant & garden lovers and sellers across the US. Strong collaboration skills are a must as well as problem solving, attention to detail, and ability to cope with rapid change. We're a tight-knit and remote-first distributed team obsessed with making nature accessible to all. Click on the arrows for details below!
Neverland (YC W21) is the first online home garden and lawn marketplace. Our app takes the guesswork and confusion out of day-to-day plant care. Our mission is to make nature accessible to all. The Neverland team draws from a combined decade of deep expertise building successful consumer tech and marketplace... companies. We're backed by world-class funds and individuals with expertise in consumer, marketplaces, and sustainability including: Y Combinator, Kindred Ventures, Kimbal Musk (Board @Tesla & @SpaceX), Manik Gupta (Former CPO @Uber), and many more to be announced publicly soon. Learn more about us by visiting our Website, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook pages.
- Click on arrows for more details*
- Role overview and responsibilities 👇
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into something useful, thoughtful, and valuable for the plant & garden lovers and shops across the US
- Design easy-to-understand end-to-end flows, and use the appropriate prototyping tools to demonstrate how a particular flow or interaction will work
- Design new experiences or layouts that evolve and/or define visual systems
- Contribute to strategic decisions around the future direction of the Neverland products
- Partner with the Neverland teem to oversee the user experience of a product from conception to launch
- Have excellent communication skills and be a team player
- Who we're looking for 🦄
- 3-5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience designing software and mobile apps at the level of whole features/products that encompass an end-to-end-experience.
- Visual design experience with proficiency in typography, desktop/mobile UI, color, layout, iconography, and aesthetic sense.
- Interaction Designs skills defining how an experience should behave based on understanding people's needs, plus consideration of how this innovation will scale. Experience using prototyping skills to demonstrate how a particular flow or interaction will work
- Experience in strategic product thinking with the ability to understand product & company goals, identify opportunities, and make decisions based on the impact to people and the company.
- Be the cheerleader for our users: empathy and thoughtfulness is core to our product experience at Neverland.
- Ability to clearly communicate concepts and designs through sketches, wireframes, prototypes using Figma, inVision, Photoshop, or similar tools etc.
- Illustration or graphic design experience is a plus
- Self-starter attitude and the ability to execute new ideas with autonomy. Flexible and comfortable with ambiguity and change during project.
- Ability to find the right balance between perfection and shipping quickly
- Why you might be excited about us ✨
- We're tackling a big problem with a massive opportunity. Our mission is to make nature accessible to all, and become the central destination for all things home gardening and lawn.
- You'll be working alongside a talented team that values diversity & inclusion. We've built a culture of collaboration, inclusivity, and creativity that gives us a competitive edge.
- We share an attitude of constant growth, optimism, and intellectual curiosity. We strive to reach our full potential by constantly improving ourselves and the product.
- You'll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. We're a remote-first (US-timezones only) team and we create a great remote environment.
- Why you might not be excited about us 👀
- We're a small but mighty growing team (~ 10 people in the company now), so if you like more established companies, this role isn't for you.
- If you see differences as divisions. Diversity and inclusion are a core part of Neverland, and we believe that diverse teams improve our business. We've built a talented team with a culture of collaboration, inclusivity, and creativity that gives us a competitive edge.
- We're a remote-first company, and therefore fantastic communication skills (verbal and written) is vital.
- We're an early-stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty vision. If you prefer a 9-5 job or to rest-and-vest, this job isn't for you.
- You are a team-player who is able to thrive in ambiguity. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- The interview process 👋🏽👋👋🏿
Our interview process is designed to ensure that A) we truly get to know one another and B) to give you a taste of what it will be like working at Neverland. We respect everyone's time, and run a speedy & transparent interview process. 🙂
👋🏽 Aloe there chat
We'll start off with a 30-minute introductory Zoom call with Vera. We'll talk about Neverland, you and your background, Neverland's plans for the future, and answer any questions you have about the business, the team, our culture, and roadmap. If we're both excited to take the next step, we'll introduce you to other members of the team.
🤖 Design Interviews
You can expect real-life scenarios we'd work through if you were a part of our Neverland team. We don't do text book questions. Interviews include:
- Portfolio Walkthrough & Design Thinking
- We're looking for your thought process and approach to design and problem solving.
- Design Breakdown
- We're looking for how you break down a problem, brainstorm, and land on a solution.
- Collaborative Interview
- To get to know you, what excites you about your work, what growth you're looking for, how you work with others, and learn more about projects you've worked in the past.
☎️ Reference convos
We approach reference conversations as an additional way to learn more about you and how you like to work. We'll reach out to 2-3 folks you've worked with previously.
Thyme to celery-brate!
If we enjoy working together, there can be an opportunity to convert to a full-time offer and properly celebrate you joining the team! 🎉
We're growing rapidly and hiring across many roles, so please reach out and say hi if you're interested in joining our team! View all open roles →
At Neverland, you are welcomed for who you are—no matter where you come from or what you look like. Everyone has a seat at the table. We are dedicated to building a diverse team that celebrates and amplifies different experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Together, we'll create the future of gardening and make nature accessible to all