We are an operator-investor group that brings experience, capital, and talent to bold ideas. Our teams utilize time-tested approaches, strategic thinking, story-driven design, and rock-solid engineering to bring products to market in the digital & physical spaces, IoT, emerging technologies, and more.
Every member of Prota is expected to bring a genuine entrepreneurial spirit to the table; many of our product ideas are generated internally and brought to market in collaboration with our incubation partners, which include both large enterprises and new founder teams.
Importantly, we include our software developers (and all team members) in much more than just their domains of work. We value human flourishing, education, and a multidisciplinary approach to problem solving. We strive to include everyone - as they are available and interested - in all aspects of business development, design, engineering, and marketing across our organization.
We believe in Human... Flourishing For All. We are committed to building equitable paths to entrepreneurship and supporting team members, founders, and businesses that reflect the diversity of the world.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
This is a remote, full-time position that can be either a “contract” or “contract-to-hire” setup. We are a remote and distributed organization with teams centered mainly around Chicago, New York, Seattle, and Belgrade. Responsibilities
• Develop front-end web architectures, patterns, and fully functioning applications (React/Redux)
• Develop server-side architectures and APIs with Ruby on Rails, leveraging best-practices for authentication and authorization
• Help architect databases (PostgreSQL) and data IO from 3rd-party APIs
• Help setup DevOps infrastructures (AWS/Heroku/Firebase)
• Optimize User Experiences across web and mobile platforms
• Help ensure responsiveness, performance, and scalability of applications
• Participate in the overall application lifecycle while focusing on coding and debugging
• Build high-quality, reusable code
• Troubleshoot and debug applications
• Stay up to date with current best practices
• Build UI tests, unit tests, and integration tests
• Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of entrepreneurs
• Participate in conferences and educational programs
Requirements and Qualifications
• Entrepreneurial drive and proven product sensibilities: we regularly create, develop, and work with startups
• Ability to pass a simple code challenge we’ll give you (similar to a simple ToDo app) using Ruby on Rails as an API layer and Redux/React as a single-page application.
• Fundamental understanding of web development
• 1+ years of experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Ruby, PHP, Python, etc. (Ruby preferred)
• Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
• Team player with an attitude of “leaving the campsite better than we found it” and “we’ve got each other’s back” state of mind
• Good organizational and time-management skills
• Participation in regular project stand-ups even with potential time zone challenges
• Meet project deadlines
• Effectively communicate with peers, superiors, and stakeholders
• Make rational, logical decisions and the ability to defend them to your peers, superiors, and stakeholders.
• Take responsibility for your work and mistakes.
Life at Prota / Benefits
As discussed above, we are a fully remote organization, with team members in Boston, New York, Chicago, Seattle, and Belgrade. While the plurality of the organization spends some time in Chicago, there is no location requirement as long as you have a space to work and a good internet connection. We normally meet in person 1-2x per quarter, which may necessitate travel depending on your location.
With Prota, you’ll be able to control your own destiny with a comp model that allows you to work flexible hours on a wide variety of projects, get exposure to multiple disciplines outside of software engineering, and have the opportunity to earn equity in startups