Enterprise Hardware Principal Electrical Engineer:
Dell EMC's mission is to drive human progress by enabling our customers with data storage, compute, virtualization, analytics, and cloud computing services that have best in-class security, reliability and performance.
The Dell EMC Core Hardware Engineering team is looking for an ambitious electrical engineer to join our team of server and storage hardware designers in Hopkinton, MA. Our team delivers enterprise class hardware, made up of a wide range of cutting-edge technologies, to dozens of product lines and thousands of customers. Core Hardware is a global team with opportunities on six continents. A team of colleagues fueled by collaboration. All this, and a company deeply committed to integrity and responsibility.
In this position you will help develop leading edge hardware solutions to be integrated into common platform designs. Opportunities exist to develop creative solutions and debug complex problems. Technologies... include processors, high speed serial interfaces, protocol ASICs, FPGAs, logic, power circuits and high speed PCB layout. You will be exposed to all aspects of systems engineering working closely with firmware, mechanical, power and thermal engineers. In this role, you will work in a fast paced environment with a team of highly skilled Engineers to provide you both guidance and mentorship.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop solutions to complex engineering problems
- Significant contributor to organizational goals and objectives
- Drive architectural direction for next generation devices & platforms
- Author and coordinate the creation of design guides and specifications for new designs
- Conduct and communicate design and feature analysis
- Design and development of new custom storage solutions with technologies including x86, ARM SoCs, DDR4/DDR5, NVMeoF, PCIe, RAID controllers and SAS.
- The role Includes defining architecture, SI constraints, CAD guidance, bring-up validation and debugging issues during development.
- Work closely with ODMs to execute a design against the specified architecture, review the design and validation results.
- Interface with supplier community, and make recommendations on supply base
- May be accountable for technical and project management aspects of a project
- Guide the work of other engineers both local and remote
- Expected to set standards and achieve design targets (cost, performance, reliability etc.) for product through proper design choices, component selection and/or supplier selection.
- Collaborates across all disciplines (hardware, software, mechanical, manufacturing, SBM etc.) to ensure product requirements are being implemented to meet program goals.
- Uses excellent communication skills to discuss requirements and provide technology updates to multiple Dell EMC product groups and development teams
- Lab work required for board bring up and debug
- BS in Electrical Engineering and minimum 8 years experience or MS in Electrical Engineering and minimum 5 years experience.
- Proficiency in hardware design, analysis, and debug of complex printed circuit boards
- Understands system or enclosure design and effectively collaborates with mechanical, thermal, firmware and ESD/EMI engineers
- Experience in designing with High Speed Interfaces (>1Gbps) such as PCIe, Ethernet, Infiniband, DDR4 and SAS
- Flexible onsite/ work from home
- Experience co-designing with a ODM or JDM partner
- Hardware RAID controller experience a plus
- Batteries and associated monitors and charging devices
- Understanding of x86 or ARM computer architecture a plus
- Understanding of SSDs and Hard Disk Drives a plus
- Verilog development and simulation for CPLDs/FPGAs a plus