We're hiring an experienced, product-oriented full-stack software engineer to own and drive Brick’s product engineering. We're looking for someone who is excited about using data to deliver a delightful customer experience that helps reduce the financial risk homeowners and contractors take on during home improvement projects. You might be a good fit if you have a strong desire for end-to-end technical ownership and an appreciation for thoughtful, data-driven customer experiences
Brick(YC W21) is the safest way to pay for home improvement projects. Home improvement projects rank second to used auto sales in total number of consumer complaints per year, and are consistently ranked as the most financially expensive complaints. We build trust in the transaction by removing the payment negotiations and aligning incentives between homeowners and contractors. For our homeowners we offer a standard $500 initial deposit and a safe and easy checkout experience (including... financing options) once the project is done. For our contractors we offer a guaranteed initial deposit up to 80% and instant payments at project milestones and completion.
What You'll Work On
- Lead product engineering for which you’ll own the technical design and execution
- Plan and build features that help increase the financial trust between homeowners and contractors, including (but not limited to)
- simple, mobile first estimate and invoice generation for contractors
- easy and clean project checkout experiences for homeowners
- efficient money movement, including both B2B and B2C flows
- data visualization to track the ROI of the home improvements
- analytics tools to help contractors improve their revenue and profitability
- Engage with customers to understand where technology can continue to solve problems.
You'll Be Successful With Us If
- You have built sophisticated consumer products. You’ve led the execution of multi-featured products and are comfortable shipping products from scratch to production.
- You’ve worked in early-stage startups and know how to operate effectively in ambiguity and fast-paced environments.
- You are a strong full-stack engineer who is extremely comfortable writing front-end and back-end code, as well as building mobile applications.
- You understand and deliver delightful user experiences. You don’t need to be a designer, but you must believe in the importance of design and be very comfortable participating in the discussion and planning of the user experience with our designer.
- You are an effective collaborator and relationship builder. You’ve worked with cross-disciplinary teams in the past to create and ship products.
Technical Skills Alignment
- Our Tech Stack: React, Typescript, PostgreSQL, AWS
- Experience with modern, functional UI paradigms. We use React.
- Experience building and managing distributed systems with AWS. We use services like Elastic Beanstalk, PostgreSQL, S3.
- Experience working with financial and/or real estate data and transactions. (Bonus)
Our Team Priorities: We use a simple 'X over Y" prioritization structure to help our team and investors understand our strategy and how we execute
- Simplicity over Complexity : This should be palpable from every part of our product and culture. Customers suffer in unnecessarily complex financial products.
- Experience over Pedigree : Having a strong degree can help, but we prefer experience in building products for customers that solve both difficult emotional and financial challenges.
- Empathy over Theory : Homeownership is a challenge that faces Americans from all backgrounds. Having a team that can empathize with those experiences is paramount for us.
- Diversity over Homogeneity : Diversity, in all senses of the word, is important to our long-term growth and success. We believe that a company's stance on diversity is established in the first few hires and investors, and we're looking to continue our strong stance. 85% of our team and investors are people of color and/or women.
- Business Focus over Technical Opportunities : We focus on building our competitive advantage(s) in business logic and software systems, and aren't afraid to outsource libraries/services when such a move increases velocity on our critical path.
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary and equity in a early stage start-up
- Access to comprehensive health benefits (health, dental, medical)
- Flexibility of remote-first team environment
- Professional development opportunities - to all employees we offer subsidies for classes for personal and professional development
We're Building a Team Culture Of
- Seeking and embracing a diversity of thought, perspectives, experiences and skills
- Excellent, respectful, and proactive communication about work, personal needs, and expectations.
- Learning, curiosity, self-awareness, and personal growth
- Interest in the depth and complexity of human & emotional experience related to home ownership and money