Are you a writer with an inquisitive nature and a creative bent? Are you naturally curious about people and love telling phenomenal stories?
We’re looking for a smart and curious person to join our growing in-house creative agency as a Content Writer. Our mission is to create best-in-class content that helps educate, entertain, and create empathy with our readers.
As a writer, you sit up straight when you see copy that is smart, personal, and human. You know the difference between an em dash and an en dash, and you’re proficient in the AP Style Guide. You draw inspiration from the world around you and approach projects with a mix of strategy, data, and gut instinct. As a creator, you think about the reader/customer first. You understand how to make complex ideas simple and in a variety of formats.
The Content Writer will interview, research and write long-form articles. Some on-camera interviewing. We seek to keep content fresh, engaging, and avoid formulas. You may... also work on interactive experiences, infographics, videos, social media posts, and partner with the team’s Visual Content Creator and internal Video Producer to bring the content to life. Collaboration with Strategists, SEO, and Social Media teams as well as various cross-functional teams will also be essential to ensure all efforts drive the strongest consumer discovery and engagement.
This role reports to the Associate Creative Director of Copy and Content and requires proven experience with a creative copywriting, content marketing or journalism background.
Responsibilities will include to:
- Write product-inspired articles (600-2,000 words) that educate our customers and prospective customers, so they may make informed choices about their finances, and view Citizens as an authentic and trusted resource.
- Write long and short-form articles promoting Citizens thought leadership and community-focused initiatives, customer stories, and more.
- Interview subjects, research topics, and use key ideas from the creative brief to craft your story with quotes, facts and sourced data.
- Partner closely with Content Strategists, Art Directors, Copy Editor, and Creative Director to brainstorm best-in-class concepts and create innovative content that provides value and objective knowledge to the audience.
- Develop content to match the briefs of internal partners with a unique Citizens’ perspective and brand voice.
- Knowledge of the banking industry and consumer bank products is helpful but not required. You need to understand a topic well through research and interviews and then communicate it to the online audience.
- Some topics include: Consumer Banking and Financial Products, Cyber Security, Loans, Thought Leadership, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Small Business. See our website for examples: https://www.citizensbank.com/learning/overview.aspx
- Maintain brand and editorial standards across all forms of content
- Work with internal partners to develop digital content in numerous formats (written, static visual, motion graphics, etc.) with a focus on empathy, personality, and customer needs
- Proactively manage multiple work streams in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines
- Stay up to date on best practices for writing and SEO in the content marketing and social media space to increase reader engagement, help us hit our key metrics, and inspire teammates
- Research and conduct interviews with subject matter experts to gather information, along with keyword research to write content.
Required Experience and Skills:
- 7-10 years proven experience in Copywriting, Journalism or Content Marketing
- Skilled at explaining sophisticated topics to varied audiences and creating highly engaging experiences
- Passionate about culture, psychology, and technology and their application to social media and content marketing
- Solid critical thinking, creative, and problem-solving skills, adding value through smart insights and empathy for the customer
- Collaborative teammate who is also comfortable working independently
- Strong time management and organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Consumer bank experience a plus
- Proficient in Mac environment and collaboration technology - Web Ex, video conferencing, MS Teams, Slack, Jira, Confluence, and workflow tool (Aprimo)
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications, English, Journalism, a combination of education and work experience, or equivalent professional experience
Hours & Work Schedule
Hours per Week: 40
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM