7041 - CarMax Shockoe - 140 Virginia Street, Richmond, Virginia, 23219
CarMax, the way your career should be!
As a Sr. Visual System Designer, you'll flex your typography, color, iconography, and animation design muscles to bring to life the Design Language that is the foundation for CarMax's brand-defining and industry-leading digital properties. You'llbringa high level ofstrategy andcraftsmanshiptothedesigndetails, focusing on every pixel to deliver new UI atoms, molecules and organisms that contribute to a much biggerVisual Brand Design System. Your work will enable and empower Product Teams across the organization to deliver customer experiences that are cohesive, recognizable, and reinforce the brand. You'll rely onhuman-centered design principles to produce high-quality visualcomponents-from concept to execution. You'llalsowork closely with fellow designersand developersto constantly refine the CarMax design language, and create innovative, great-looking products that people... love to use.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sketch, ideate, and generate new concepts based on self-driven research, Product Team input, and stakeholder direction
- Establish a high-output workflow that istimeline-driven, with meticulous attention to detail that enables seamlessintegration withtheProduct Teams you support
- Communicate effectively in a cross-functionalProductDesign/DevelopmentTeam and presentthe business value of yourideas and designs effectively
- Be an ambassador for theVisual BrandDesignSystem, partnering with Product Teams at every opportunity toencourageadoption, seek input, and solicit contribution opportunities
- Contribute to the UI Kit and Component Libraries thatenableProduct Teams tobuild and iterateusing the CarMaxVisual BrandDesignSystem
- Act as a visual design consultant to Product Designers to ensure brand consistency across user journeys.
- Mentor and train junior members of the design team on industry and CarMax best practices
- Develop and implement processes that strengthen the adoption and development of the design language
- Experience designing intricate and cohesive visual design systems that contribute to a unified user experience across multiple customer touchpoints
- Good listener, and experienced with brainstorming techniques that help build consensus among a large, diverse group of stakeholders
- Collaborative and team-oriented work approach
- Solid understanding ofhuman-centered design processes andtheability to balance customer needs with business goals and metrics in developing solutions
- Ability to convert ideas quickly into design artifacts
- Experience with design tools that help translate ideas into working products, including, but not limited to: Sketch, Axure, Principal/Flinto, Framer, andInVision
- Experience designing and prototyping native app and web solutions for a range of screen sizes/resolutions: mobile, tablet, desktop, etc.
- Ability to perform designconsultingcritiques and supplyconstructive,objective-basedfeedback to others
- Able to train and mentor others in design methodologies and best practices
- Experience with Agile development processes
- E-commerce experience a plus
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years' experience within the fields of product, interaction and visual design
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical work experience
- A link to an online portfolio showcasing your work (Include link on your resume) that demonstrates your experience creating elegant, thoughtful and comprehensive UI experiences
- Have an understanding of: AtomicDesign principles; user-centered design process; usability and user research methods; data analysis;front-end development best practices
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application