The New York & New Jersey Greenway Coordinator is a full-time position that carries region-wide responsibilities for all aspects of greenway development, State Committee/volunteer engagement, and some fundraising tasks related to the region. The NY & NJ Coordinator works under the direction of the Deputy Director in coordination with other East Coast Greenway Alliance (ECGA) staff.
This position will implement programs that support the ECGA Strategic Plan and specific strategies and goals in the region. The right candidate will grow, support and empower our volunteers in the region and must be able to travel frequently within the region for meetings and events. Work will entail data collection, field investigations, and performing technical and GIS data analysis.
- Complete and monitor East Coast Greenway (ECG) signage throughout the region and update the ECGA online Trip Planner (map.greenway.org). Work to move a maximum amount of the on-road... portions off-road (including designating trail as official ECG) and make remaining on-road sections as safe and bicycle/pedestrian-friendly as feasible.
- Keep the data-reporting system up-to-date (GIS) and create reports as requested (at least quarterly).
- Assist our volunteer State Committees and other volunteers within the region.
- Build/maintain a strong network of strategic alliances with public agencies, elected officials, and organizations in each state to continue Greenway progress.
- Advocate and communicate regional information in coordination with other staff for ECGA website, print and e-newsletters, and engage relevant NY & NJ media.
- Partner engagement on annual signature ride event: NYC to Philadelphia bike ride.
- Assist with fundraising efforts led by the Executive Director in coordination with the Development Manager, including developing significant fundraising leads such as prospective individual donors, foundations, and corporate partners.
- Passionate commitment to ECGA mission and alignment with ECGA's guiding principles & values.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and integrity.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Experience working for or volunteering with a non-profit is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience working with public and private sector professionals in the urban and regional planning, transportation planning, civil engineering, & landscape architecture fields.
- Three years or more project management and/or program experience in a relevant area such as greenway development, environmental policy, health, or community organizing.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, respectfully, and tactfully with a wide range of people and personalities to establish collaborative partnerships as a team player.
- Track record engaging and motivating volunteers.
- Demonstrated leadership in implementing greenway projects that promote transportation equity.
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint & GIS mapping experience. Experience working with QGIS and CARTO a plus.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic approach; tenaciously takes initiative and applies sound judgment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Able to function in a fast-paced work environment; able to work on several project deadlines simultaneously, delivering professional work on-time and on-budget.
- Well-organized, self-motivated and independent worker: understands the need to develop work plans and to prioritize work efficiently. Takes record-keeping, documentation and file management seriously.
- Able to travel throughout the region for meetings and events.
- Develop detailed progress reports on the ECG in the NY & NJ Region in collaboration with State Committee leaders, partner agencies, and organizations.
- Work with ECGA staff and State Committees to plan logistics for ECG progress in the region, identifying and finding solutions for key gaps and opportunities.
- Greenway Implementation
- Become familiar in detail with the route throughout the 200+ mile corridor.
- Work directly with State Committees and agency partners to advance implementation of ECG plans. Network and engage local to federal stakeholders.
- Manage the trail designation process within the region.
- Coordinate signage program within the region including:
- Work with state DOTs, local municipalities, parks, and volunteers to implement and maintain full signage of the ECG throughout the Region.
- Build and maintain collaborative partnerships with other bike/ped organizations, public and private agencies, and trail advocates to further Greenway priorities.
- Organize ECGA state or regional meetings, workshops, and training sessions in partnership with other staff.
- Serve as point of contact for trail managers/developers/advocates regarding East Coast Greenway questions. Help provide assistance or direct inquiries to appropriate sources.
- Monitor designated trail segments to ensure they continue to meet our standards.
- Get ECG included in state and local plans, official reports, and on official maps.
- Organize state and regional advocacy to secure trail development funding.
- Building Public Support
- Build and support strong volunteer engagement including attending States’ Committee meetings.
- Organize and participate in events throughout the region throughout the year: including bike rides, walks, and staffing booths at community events.
- As a public space, the Greenway is for people of all different ages, abilities, cultural groups, economic status, and sexual orientations.
- Tracking Progress
- Present reports at conferences and summits and when requested.
- Media: responsive to the press (working with Greenway Communications staff) for articles.
- Respond to or help direct to the most appropriate party inquiries by the public, our partners, and media related to the ECG.
- Provide regional news & stories for e-news, website, & social media.
- Represent ECGA at relevant meetings and events
- Maintain files, a database of contacts, and email groups as needed for your communication within the region.
- Assist the ED as directed to increase regional resources from ECGA membership, donors, foundations, corporate support, and successful events.
- Assist with other tasks as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a hiring range of $48,000-58,000 commensurate with experience. This is a remote position based in either NY or NJ. Must be able to travel throughout the region for meetings and events. Deadline to apply is Sunday, May 16.
- 10 paid holidays & 10 paid sick days per year
- 10 paid vacation days per year (increases to 15 after first year of service)
- Staff development fund, active commuting benefit and charitable giving match
- FICA, Medicare, unemployment security, workers’ compensation
- Health insurance available via group policy. ECGA covers 90% of premium for medical and 50% dental & vision for employees & 50% toward dependents’ medical/dental/vision.
- Retirement plan contribution matching (up to 3%).
ECGA is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, age, veteran status, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin. We are committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workplace that values every individual