Sound is an innovator of bio-inspired chemistry and plant genetics. We leverage natural plant diversity to grow crops more sustainably and create differentiated, nutritious food. Sound is a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as S2G Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Ventures.
We are hiring a Senior Brand Manager to refine our strategy, accelerate consumer engagement, and be responsible for new food product launches from our on-demand plant breeding platform. Sound's unique non-GMO technology can create differentiated crops (think longer shelf-life, better tasting tomatoes) in a matter of months vs. the years it takes typical plant breeding. This role will work in close partnership with R&D who is executing the technical work, and Business Development, who will be sourcing, closing, and managing partner opportunities. The role reports to VP Product Management and Marketing and is based in our... Emeryville, CA headquarters or may be remote. In typical times, approximately 20% travel is expected.
- Manage the P&L and drive consumer/retail-facing revenue growth from Sound's on-demand breeding platform
- Manage and determine prioritization and timeline for Sound's internal food projects, ensuring we hit milestones and launch dates
- Deepen understanding of customers and value chains within defined market segments with a focus on consumer-facing and ingredient opportunities
- Define product concepts (from proof of concept to full products) to meet customer needs within these opportunity spaces
- Build the business case for pursuing each opportunity for the company's on-demand breeding platform, whether partner driven or internal
- Help design and influence route-to-market strategy for on-demand breeding in conjunction with the leadership team
- Determine appropriate business models, pricing and positioning for our on-demand breeding
- Serve as product expert in discussions with external partners/customers
- Represent Sound in public forums (shows and events, press, etc.) in relation to our on-demand breeding platform
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree, ideally in consumer marketing, food science, biological sciences, biochemistry or related technical discipline, MBA or Master's degree a plus
- 5+ years experience in fresh food/produce, packaged goods, or related industry. Roles including in brand management, product management, and product development
- Experience launching a new food brand or product into retail or direct to consumer
- Experience working across value and supply chains to bring products from concept to consumer
- Startup mindset is required, startup experience is a plus
- Superb critical thinking skills, able to see the big picture, prioritize critical focus areas, and generate strategic options
- Excellent presentation skills and executive presence
- Strong financial modeling and analytical skills
- Able to develop a deep understanding in technical areas of chemistry and biology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation of group presentations
- Drive to work hard, collaborate, and create winning solutions to challenging problems in fast-paced startup environment
- Passion for finding new ways to create healthier, tastier, and more sustainable food
Sound is based in Emeryville, CA and Research Triangle Park, NC, with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission-driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the business of food and agriculture.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.