Do you believe in the power of transformative relationships for girls? Are you ready to impact the Greater Boston community one girl at a time? If you answered yes, and the idea of being part of a collaborative, performance-driven, focused team excites you then join us! At Big Sister Association of Greater Boston, we have been helping girls reach their full potential through positive mentoring relationships with women since 1951. We are the largest mentoring organization in Greater Boston exclusively serving girls and an award-winning affiliate of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
Big Sister Boston is seeking an experienced accounting professional to join our dynamic team. The Accounting Manager is responsible for managing all general accounting duties including accounts payable, general ledger entries, monthly and year-end reconciliation, budget preparation and reporting, and working with the auditors. The Accounting Manager will collaborate with the development team on accounts... receivables, revenue reconciliation and funder budgets and reporting.
The successful Accounting Manager is someone who has the functional knowledge and ability to work independently while delivering quality outcomes and is excited about closely collaborating with their Big Sister colleagues as a member of the staff community. Strong candidates understand how quality, back-office operations are essential in supporting a values-aligned community in advance of a nonprofit mission.
Big Sister is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, multilingual and multicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are interested in working at a well-established, dynamic and supportive organization committed to serving girls, please apply.
· Prepare and post general ledger entries in QuickBooks
· Lead monthly reconciliation and reporting
· Prepare weekly payables for processing
· Ensure timely deposits of employee 403b contributions
· Process bi-weekly payroll and enter activity in QuickBooks
· Monitor accounts receivable schedule and coordinate with development department
· Record received revenue; sell stock donations as needed
· Prepare cash forecast
· Liaise with departments for payables, receivables and reporting; ensure departments receive monthly financial reports
· Maintain depreciation schedule
· Reconcile bank operating and investment accounts
· Prepare monthly budget versus actual reporting
· Support the annual financial statement audit process by preparing schedules, account reconciliations and responding to auditor requests
· Assist in the preparation of 990s
· Prepare and submit year-end 1099 filings and other government agency filings including invoices for federal and state funding reimbursements
· Prepare and submit data to national Big Brother Big Sister Association
· Support the annual budget preparation
· Serve as a point of contact for banking institutions and other vendors; request W9s as needed
· Manage accounting files, documents and records in accordance with records retention policies and procedures
· Review and update assigned section of the Accounting Policies and Procedures
· Attend Board of Directors Finance Committee and Investment Committee meetings
· Bachelor’s degree and five years’ experience in accounting or related field
· Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
· Proficiency in Excel, QuickBooks (QB), QB Online and MS Office Suite
· Strong organizational and detail management skills
· Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with colleagues who are not finance and accounting experts
· Ability to prioritize and organize workload
· Experience working with external auditors and internal controls
· Demonstrated ability to handle confidential information
· Ability to effectively identify and utilize available resources to achieve goals
· Excited about and effective in working autonomously and within a cross-functional team
Reports to: Chief Administrative Officer and/or Senior Accounting Manager
Language Skills: Written and oral fluency in English
Start date: Immediately
Location: Big Sister Association Offices, 20 Park Plaza, Boston, MA
Compensation: $70,000-75,000. Full-time, exempt position. Comprehensive benefits package including paid time off and health benefits.
Please send cover letter and resume with subject line Accounting Manager: email@example.com . Please attach your cover letter and resumé as a Word document or a PDF.
Big Sister Association of Greater Boston is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, nationality, ability, age, gender identity or gender expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws