Exygy seeks an experienced and collaborative Web Engineer who is passionate about making a difference in the world with technology. Join our network of remote contributors to build a wide variety of high-impact projects with our civic and health sector clients. This is a remote, contract position.
You'll be working collaboratively with our clients at times, and candidates with prior successful experience working hands-on with clients will be strongly preferred.
- Writing high-quality code to build new features and address issues with existing projects.
- Reviewing pull requests, providing feedback, and pairing with other engineers on difficult problems.
- Collaborating closely with designers to proactively identify... technical challenges in design solutions, and implementing approved designs with high-quality and attention to detail.
- Contributing to the technical design process, and building documentation of decisions to guide future contributors.
- Ensuring code is tested and meets team code quality standards.
- Communicating effectively and regularly with our clients and product team through stand ups, sprint reviews, etc.
- 3 or more years of experience writing production code in a professional, team-oriented environment.
- Strong knowledge of PHP coding and web-based applications. Experience with either Craft CMS or ExpressionEngine a plus.
- Experience implementing React and Typescript. Experience with Nextjs a plus.
- A nuanced point-of-view on agile process, and a pragmatic approach for including new tools and processes.
- Empathetic and desire to build with other engineers collaboratively through code reviews, joint design, etc.
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate remotely with design and product teams.
- Comfort working in public repositories, and commitment to a working style that encourages outside contributors.
- Discipline to be effective on a remote team with lots of personal flexibility, but high expectations.
- Demonstrated experience in client facing environments, with an ability to navigate complex stakeholders.
Nice to Haves
- Broad experience across a variety of tech stacks, environments, and application types, and a demonstrated ability to pick up new components and methods quickly.
- DevOps expertise with one or more cloud platforms (e.g. Heroku, AWS, GCP, Azure).
- History of delivering systems that scale well, and ability to design, implement, debug, and optimize complex distributed systems.
- Leadership in an open-source project or community.
- Contributions to improve the engineering teams you were a member of, both as engineers and as teams.
- Knowledge of technical trends, emerging techniques, and sources for ongoing innovation in our work.ABOUT EXYGY
Exygy is a digital innovation studio on a mission to build resilient and healthy communities.
We transform impact focused organizations through digital craftsmanship and design thinking. Some of our clients include: The UN World Food Program, the City of San Francisco, Google.org, Wikimedia Foundation, Skoll Foundation, Philanthropy University, and the Environmental Working Group. With a commitment to outstanding human-centered design and lean, standards-driven development, we work strategically and deliberately to create fantastic products that help our clients achieve their organizational goals.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY & COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because we believe that creates a stronger team.
Exygy values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. Exygy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws. All employees and contractors of Exygy are responsible for maintaining a work atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with dignity and respect