About Robin Hood
Robin Hood is New York City’s largest poverty-fighting organization. In addition to funding 200+ of the most effective nonprofits serving New Yorkers experiencing poverty, we amplify financial support with a range of management assistance.
Building on more than 30+ years of experience, Robin Hood is expanding our impact with an explicit focus on lifting families sustainably and measurably out of poverty through influencing policy, raising our thought leadership profile, importing and exporting effective ideas and strategies nationally, and building new collaborations with strategic partners.
The Staff Counsel will work directly with the General Counsel and will take a lead role on many day-to-day matters, all in support of the goals of the Legal Department and Robin Hood’s poverty-fighting mission. As the third member of a team of legal generalists, the Staff Counsel will interact with colleagues from all departments and will be positioned to... have an impact on both Robin Hood’s internal operations and our externally-facing activities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Handle various day-to-day legal matters, providing advice across the organization. This will include reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts and other documents, such as: sponsorship agreements, grant agreements, non-disclosure agreements, consulting agreements, and licenses and releases
- Collaborate with the other Legal Department team members (General Counsel and Staff Counsel) to develop and streamline policies and processes that support and enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of department operations
- Work directly with other departments on a wide range of issues, such as corporate governance, data privacy and security, and employment and employee benefits. Areas of focus will reflect the selected candidate’s expertise as well as the changing needs of the department and the organization
- Support compliance with state, federal, and local laws related to tax-exemption, charity registration, and nonprofit organization status
- Handle matters both internally and in coordination with outside counsel
The Staff Counsel is on the Legal team and will report to the General Counsel.
- J.D. Degree from an ABA accredited U.S. law school
- Admitted to practice law in New York, or eligible for registration as in-house counsel in New York
- At least five years of prior law firm or other comparable experience; in-house corporate experience (for-profit or nonprofit) a plus
- Significant experience in contract drafting and negotiation, as well as experience addressing legal issues related to one or more other relevant areas of focus, such as corporate governance, grantmaking, fundraising, risk management, advocacy, and intellectual property (including media and technology)
- Comfortable both analyzing an issue and diligently carrying out the specific tasks and projects needed to see a matter through to completion
- Able to work independently and exercise judgment as to when to escalate issues, with an eye for business considerations as well as legal ones
- Able to communicate clearly with non-lawyers on legal topics, and work cooperatively with others who may have competing priorities
- Approaches matters from a “getting to yes” perspective. When obstacles are identified, proposes potential solutions
- Committed to Robin Hood’s poverty-fighting mission
Robin Hood Guiding Principles
As an organization committed to economic mobility, our work is grounded in the following Guiding Principles:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Proximity and humanity
- Risk-taking and innovation
Our professional community reflects myriad demographic characteristics, perspectives, and backgrounds, which includes various identities that reflect diversity in gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ability, and socioeconomic status. Our colleagues have access to opportunity and advancement, as we promote fair and equitable treatment and have encouraged participation by underrepresented groups. As a team, we promote a sense of belonging, high levels of engagement, and shared respect.
- Robin Hood puts people first. Always.
- Robin Hood is unafraid to take action and create solutions.
- Robin Hood is data driven and heart led.
- Robin Hood works the coat check