The Staff Attorney works with the Senior Counsel and Legal Director of the Appignani Humanist Legal Center of the American Humanist Association to help accomplish all aspects of legal activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen legal inquiries, investigate reports, draft client correspondences, and work with the Legal Director to determine the best course of action
- Participate in case selection and development, including conducting factual and legal research, evaluating legal theory and strategy, identifying and analyzing potential claims, determining possible plaintiffs and defendants, interviewing clients and potential witnesses, working with experts, preparing internal memoranda, and drafting demand letters and litigation‐related pleadings and briefs
- Assist the Legal Director and Senior Counsel in selected litigation, including drafting pleadings, motions, briefs and correspondence; conducting discovery; taking and defending depositions; and pursuing attorney’s... fee awards
- Monitor litigation being handled by cooperating attorneys or pro bono counsel and provide supervision and/or assistance as needed
- With the approval of the Legal Director, draft articles for the AHA website and other media regarding legal issues and cases, as requested or as necessary
- Perform certain administrative and tactical functions related to the practice of law
- Assist with amicus brief opportunities
- Assist with the promotion and publicity of AHLC activities
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Membership in good standing with the D.C. Bar or ability to waive into the D.C. Bar within a reasonable time
- Willingness and ability to work beyond the normal workday, on weekends, and/or more than 40 hours a week as necessary
- At least three years of litigation experience, preferably in federal courts
- Meticulous attention to detail while multi-tasking
- Ability to work independently and in a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills as well as exceptional writing ability
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficient with Lexis Nexis
- Proficient with Google Suite
- Understanding of humanism and willingness to support the mission of the AHA
- Commitment to creating and sustaining a positive, respectful and inclusive work environment
Essential Skills and Abilities:
Ability to provide clear direction, set priorities, meet deadlines, and hold staff accountable to deadlines on concurrent projects.
Ability to provide meaningful and critical feedback on planning and execution of programs.
Strong self‐motivation and capacity to handle numerous deadlines and work in a fast‐paced, stressful environment.
Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills.
Ability to work competently and effectively under pressure.
Ability to think critically and solve complex problems.
Ability to work independently and to take initiative.
Ability to work effectively and professionally with clients, other counsel, volunteers, community members, and staff, and a commitment to the highest ethical standards and the values of the AHA
Starting salary will be $60-65K. The AHA offers good benefits, including full health insurance, a generous leave program, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan that includes a partial match.
We encourage you to visit our website, www.americanhumanist.org, for more information about our work. The American Humanist Association advocates progressive values and equality for humanists. Our motto is: Good Without A God.
The American Humanist Association is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law