The National Liberty Museum (NLM) is seeking a Coordinator to aid in the installation, design, and curation of our Exhibitions, as well as in the general handling of our permanent collection. The Coordinator will work in tandem with the Visitor & Member Services team, the Events team, and the Marketing team on the design of our temporary exhibitions. They will be responsible for aiding in the installation and deinstallation of exhibitions, the curation of pieces for temporary exhibitions including receiving, unpacking, and repackaging all artwork.
Manager of Exhibitions
Full time, 40 hours a week. Monday – Friday
Occasional weekends and some evenings throughout the year.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in the creation of the detailed temporary exhibition project schedule which includes 4 temporary exhibitions, annually.
- Under the direction of the Manager of Exhibitions, work with the team on the design and layout exhibitions.
- Maintain permanent and... temporary exhibitions for their duration helping to preserve the permanent exhibitions and collections.
- Manage and maintain the permanent collection inventory.
- Collaborate with the Exhibitions and Learning & Public Engagement teams to create accessible and engaging labels, interactives, and other interpretation elements for exhibitions and permanent collection installations.
- Continually works with colleagues to improve systems and processes and the overall workplace environment.
- Work with the Learning & Public Engagement team on programming ideas and initiatives connected to our exhibitions.
- Work with the Marketing team to create social media initiatives tied to our exhibition strategy.
- Aid the exhibition manager with administrative work for the department.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing & public speaking abilities.
- Effective communicator able to translate their ideas, thoughts, and designs to large groups.
- Bachelor’s in art history, history, studio art, preferred, but not required.
- Understanding of the Contemporary and Philadelphia Arts and Culture scene, preferred.
- Knowledge of museum management, collections/exhibitions management, curatorial principles, and practices.
- Experience handling delicate pieces of art, as well as in the packaging of art including glass and sculpture.
The work environment and physical demands and characteristics are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions:
- Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity including sitting/standing, limited lifting and carrying (up to 50 lbs.), up/downstairs
- Work Environment: Work is typically performed in an indoor environment, in museum offices or on museum floor
- Equipment: General office equipment, projector, Smart Board, two-way radio
Work Environment/ Office Culture:
We are proud of our Museum family and work each day to create an atmosphere where everyone can contribute their ideas, energy and enthusiasm for the important services we provide to the public. We emphasize working together as a team which is cooperative and supportive of each other, with open communication always.
Our management team is committed to providing an atmosphere of trust and open communication and to listen to and answer any staff questions or concerns. We believe in giving each staff person opportunities to grow and will always promote from within and where possible