Reports to: Program Director
Status: Non-Exempt, Full Time (40 hours per week)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Using MEarth’s facilities to teach PK-12th grade environmental stewardship classes using the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Teaching PK-12th grade students about healthy eating, nutrition, and lifestyle choices by leading them through the growing, preparing and cooking of foods harvested from our edible garden, in our LEED certified culinary classroom, during virtual programs, and at off site locations through our community partnerships.
- In collaboration with the broader program and administration team, creating educational content and materials for both internal and external purposes.
- Coordinating restoration projects at local natural areas.
- Participating in off-site volunteer recruitment efforts.
- Supervising volunteers and service learning students who support MEarth’s educational programs.
- Collaborating with MEarth... Property Manager to plan and steward the grounds of the Hilton Bialek Habitat and edible garden.
- Support in developing community partnerships, leading frequent evening and weekend programming, and supporting with annual fundraisers.
- Coordinating staff and programming for summer camp.
- Tabling on behalf of MEarth at off-site conferences, colleges and universities, and community events.
- Experience and interest in developing standards-aligned science curriculum
- Ability to make outdoor learning and education fun and engaging
- Bachelor’s degree in education or science related field
- 1-3 years of experience as an educator
- Outdoor education experience
- Knowledge of nutritional wellness
- Edible gardening experience
- Experience in public speaking
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Knowledge of local ecological systems
- Experience managing groups of students in an outdoor setting
- Ability to meaningfully engage volunteers who are providing MEarth with habitat and garden maintenance
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, creative work environment, as well as work independently in a highly organized manner with a keen eye for detail
- Kitchen and/or culinary experience
- Organic gardening and/or farming experience
Additional Beneficial Qualifications:
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector
- Well versed in Apple products and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Calendars, Google Drive).
- Passion for inspiring youth leadership
- Experience working with underserved communities in nutrition and outdoor education
- Experience facilitating events/workshops
- Knowledge and direct experience integrating seasonal garden produce into nutrition curriculum, scaling recipes, bulk purchasing etc.
- Experience developing and documenting curriculum for PK-12th grade education programs
- Experience utilizing impact evaluation tools
- Fluency in a foreign language (especially Spanish, French or Chinese) is a plus
Required Physical Capabilities:
Incorporated with one or more of the essential functions of this position are the following essential physical requirements:
- Ability to see for purposes of reading instructions, labels, and other printed matter and for the safe operation of equipment.
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels in person and/or on the telephone.
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand a normal conversation in person and/or on the telephone.
- Ability to operate a computer, typewriter, calculator, copy machine, telephone and other office equipment with dexterity and in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to routinely lift and carry supplies and materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
The working environment is subject to bending, crouching, or kneeling to access information and/or to assist students from ground level to 4.5 feet above the ground, pushing, pulling and lifting of instructional equipment and supplies, sitting on chairs or floor, leaning over for prolonged periods of time, reaching in all directions, and working outdoors for prolonged periods of time.
Successful completion of the hiring process is contingent upon the applicant passing a multi-agency livescan fingerprint/background check and TB test (paid for by MEarth).
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties, as required, to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Employment at MEarth is at-will.
MEarth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please fill out the following google form to apply: https://forms.gle/mswCqZLdZFjMr4Zo7
No phone calls please