COUNCIL FOR A STRONG AMERICA
Director, Development Operations and Individual Giving
National Office, Washington DC
Council for a Strong America (CSA) has a great opportunity for a Director, Development Operations, and Individual Giving to join our fast-paced team. Working as a senior member of the Strategic Planning and Development Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission of engaging law enforcement, military, business, faith, and sports leaders who promote evidence-based policies and programs that enable kids to be healthy, well-educated and prepared for productive lives. Our guiding vision is to strengthen the nation by promoting solutions that prepare young people to succeed.
In addition to overseeing the systems and procedures necessary to support robust development operations across all fundraising programs, the Director, Development Operations, and Individual Giving will be focused on building and maximizing an individual giving... program to achieve CSA’s revenue and mission goals.
Reporting to the Vice President of Strategic Planning and Development, the Director, Development Operations and Individual Giving is an integral member of the development team (growing to 6 members in 2021). The successful candidate will provide hands-on leadership of the development operations, including the funder-related portions of CSA’s Salesforce database, grant implementation process, project management/workflow software, prospect research tools, grant calendars, and other development tools and processes needed for efficient and effective operations.
Concurrently, the Director will work with CSA leadership and staff to build an individual giving program from the ground up with a long-term goal of developing a multi-faceted individual giving and major donor program that provides substantial funding for CSA programs and operations. The Director will be responsible for the planning and implementation of the program that will include prospect research and cultivation strategies; giving levels and revenue goals; performance measures; donor stewardship strategies; and possibly special events. The successful candidate will design the program so that it can begin yielding results in 2022 and will manage the initial portfolio of individual and major donor prospects and contributors.
- Assess and refine existing development systems and processes, including CSA’s grant implementation process, project management/workflow software, prospect research tools, grant calendars, and other development tools and processes to ensure an efficient and effective development function.
- Oversee, in collaboration with the Development Associate and Salesforce Administrator, the development section of the donor database (Salesforce), reviewing and revising, as necessary, protocols regarding the foundation, individual, and corporate funder and prospect data.
- Design and implement new processes and procedures to support the development team’s ability to respond to the needs of our colleagues, donors, and organizational leadership.
- Manage all prospect research efforts, with special emphasis on major gifts donor research, including preparing research profiles on prospective and current donors, and managing external research consultants and vendors.
- Participate in the planning, monitoring, and managing of the development team budget.
- Serve as the liaison to the Finance Department to ensure proper tracking and reporting on individual and major donor pledges and payments.
- Design and implement an individual giving plan that includes:
- high-net-worth individuals and major donors cultivation strategies
- strategic moves management and stewardship plans to maximize gift potential and build donor satisfaction and loyalty
- multiple individual giving campaigns, including Giving Tuesday participation, year-end and board giving appeals
- special events, such as policy salons, donor briefings, and other appropriate individual donor-focused activities.
- Work closely with other CSA teams, including Federal Policy, State Policy, Research, Communications, and Finance, to appropriately engage them in donor cultivation, stewardship, and retention of major donors.
- Oversee the donation acknowledgment process.
- Serve as a resource to staff who wish to engage individuals and major donors.
- Support other development activities as needed.
- Minimum of 7 years of professional fundraising experience, including at least 5 years of individual giving experience.
- Deep knowledge of grants management best practices and demonstrated success in that function within a non-profit organization.
- Experience with Salesforce and Google Suite a must. Experience with workflow/project management software is a plus.
- Demonstrated success securing 6-figure gifts from individuals.
- Success with designing and implementing membership/annual fund programs.
- Knowledge of current trends in individual and major donor giving, as well as high net worth individuals committed to supporting organizations with a similar mission to CSA.
- Experience working successfully with institutional leaders, including senior management, colleagues, and volunteer leadership on individual giving and major donor efforts.
- Ability to assess the needs and interests of major gift donors in order to develop strategic and long-term partnerships and recognize opportunities.
- Ability to persuasively articulate the organization’s mission, program objectives, and resource needs to potential donors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including writing, editing, and presenting.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Detail-oriented with strong time management and organizational skills as well as sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
- A strong connection to and passion for CSA’s mission. Experience with early childhood care and education, child health, and/or k-16 issues a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically as needed.
- BA/BS required. Master’s degree preferred.
Council for a Strong America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is seeking a diverse slate of candidates for formal consideration