Named as a Forbes Fintech 50 the last two years in a row, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our modern card issuing platform, open API, and advanced analytics provide unprecedented control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. We power possibilities for our customers by bringing the best talent together in an open and collaborative work environment that rewards creativity and perseverance.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and Denver growth plans and strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements... listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
The Senior Commercial Counsel will be responsible for working in close partnership with individual business units and cross functional teams to provide legal and regulatory guidance and negotiate commercial contracts as Marqeta develops, implements and updates its products and services, and enters into new business relationships.
- Negotiate strategic, complex and cross-border master agreements with Marqeta’s customers, partners and vendors
- Provide timely, concise and business-focused legal advice on payments law impacting Marqeta’s contractual relationships
- Support Marqeta’s international expansion in close partnership with the Revenue Team
- Partner within the legal commercial team, legal operations and cross-functionally to help automate, scale and continuously improve standard form agreements and legal processes
- Work in partnership with other members of the legal team
- Instruct and manage outside counsel, as necessary
- Handle other matters as required to support the business
- An experienced, solution-oriented and proactive attorney
- Proven ability to proactively support U.S. and international sales teams and direct all aspects of the contract management cycle
- Proven track record of providing creative and timely complex contract solutions that further a company’s business objectives
- A keen sense of ownership, and highly adaptable to a fast-changing environment
- A solid business focus with practical risk awareness
- 6 to 10+ years of experience practicing either in-house (or in an equivalent setting) or at a reputable law firm, with at least 3 years working in or advising companies in the payments, fintech or financial services space
- Experience drafting and negotiating contracts for payments companies or financial institutions
- Strong track record negotiating and advising on a range of complex commercial contracts, including customer agreements, partnerships, vendor and technology/IP licensing contracts
- Experience supporting cross-border commercial contracts and contracts in various international jurisdictions, including Europe, APAC, Asia and Latam.
- Creative problem solver
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to work both in teams and independently
- A working knowledge of laws impacting the payments industry, including federal and state consumer financial and protection laws and regulations like, Regulation E; Regulation Z, BSA/AML, UDAAP, and data privacy law
- Admitted to the California state bar or certified to practice in California
- A great sense of humor
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Full paid Parental Leave
- Pet insurance
- 401k plan with a Company match
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Monthly stipend
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, all-company offsites, etc.
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches twice a week, breakfast on Fridays and more!
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances