Title: EPMO Project Manager (Remote position)
Type: Remote temp position - must attach video clip requested below and notate location on resume
Duration: 12 months and renewable
It is mandatory to submit a video clip of the candidate as an attachment or provide a link; answering the question why they think they should be picked for the job. Resumes without the video clip will not be shortlisted. Also, when submitting the resume, confirm in comments that the applicant is comfortable with 10% travel.
I. Scope of role
The EPMO Project Manager provides Project Management support for assigned medium to large sized projects (typically projects of moderate complexity, medium to high risk and cost), which have a direct impact on achieving cross-functional objectives. This is defined internally as Tier 1 or Tier 2 projects. The Project Manager may manage one or more projects that are part of a larger strategic program. The Project Manager leads the project through building... effective relationships with business leaders, the project/program team and key stakeholders. The Project Manager drives the delivery of the project through advanced project management techniques and methodologies. The Project Manager may have responsibility to lead/coach/mentor other EPMO team members either as project team members or as direct reports.
II. Key Responsibilities
- Successful planning, executing and delivering one or more concurrent medium/large projects (defined internally as Tier 1 or Tier 2 projects).
- Partners with project sponsors and stakeholders to define project objectives.
- Works directly with executive and director level business leaders to understand the strategic objectives for major business change initiatives and define the tactical programs/projects to realize these objectives.
- Takes ownership for delivering project objectives and deliverables. Drives project execution within established scope, schedule, resource and quality requirements, leading project teams of cross-functional resources in matrixed environment.
- Defines, communicates and delivers project scope, goals and deliverables.
- Creates and organizes project work, required documents and deliverables for validation and compliance traceability (as required by the project, EPMO practices and applicable regulations).
- Creates a project governance process, including meeting cadence, scorecard, RAID log in accordance with established EPMO practices and required tools.
- Identifies resources required to successfully complete the objectives of assigned projects.
- Leads project teams in accordance with established EPMO and project management methodologies and practices, maintaining optimal team performance on assigned project tasks and deliverables.
- Provides timely and effective project communications, including meeting facilitation, and executive status reporting.
- Identifies and manages project risks and issues, ensuring their timely mitigation and resolution with impacted stakeholders.
- Creates management reports and presentations (as required) to keep project sponsor and other leaders and stakeholders up to date on schedule, budget and deliverable status.
- Plans and executes change management activities related to each assigned project.
- Manages internal and external customer relationships to realize high customer satisfaction for their project.
- Adheres to and follows all applicable EPMO Project Management guidelines and practices.
- Supports EPMO management in refining project management practices and implementing them throughout the EPMO.
- Mentors Project Managers and Project Coordinators in project management best practices.
- Responsible for leading and training direct reports, team members and other managers to identify and achieve performance goals.
- Responsible to coach and facilitate skills development activities to help team members manage their career.
Project / Program Management
- Must be knowledgeable in project and program management industry best practices and have in-depth understanding of the project management planning process.
- Skilled in driving the project team to produce detailed scope, schedule, and budget using standard project management tools.
- Develops clear problem statements and resolution options for escalation to project sponsors and management.
- Provides principal drive towards action for project team.
- Proactive in driving creative resolutions to project issues and risk mitigation strategies.
- Able to establish a governance structure with operating mechanisms and cadence appropriate for VP or C-level sponsors.
- Develops fully integrated, multi-workstream project management plans, anticipating work needs and factors that will influence works schedules.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing project change control governance to manage scope changes, and reporting project schedule/budget performance.
- Understands and leads the team in the established processes to define and validate acceptance / gate criteria for the project to ensure successful project completion stakeholder acceptance
Risk and Issue Management
- Capable of demonstrating an understanding of the value of continuous risk management on assigned projects and leveraging team members to identify risks and brainstorm mitigation plans.
- Able to distinguish between risk mitigation and issue resolution; demonstrating an understanding of how one may evolve into the other.
- Able to facilitate team members in the resolution of issues on assigned projects and develop alternative approaches for resolution to be presented to and approved by project sponsors.
- Capable of facilitating interdependency workshops to lead team members in productive conversations to accurately identify risks, issues, resulting impact and resolution plans.
- Able to coach lesser experienced PMs and business leaders in successful risk and issue management.
- Applies critical thinking skills objectively considering multiple angles to decision making and problem solving.
- Able to quickly gather relevant data across multiple risks, issues and interdependencies to bring clarity to confusion while defining the process to go about addressing the issues
- Presents recommended course of action, when escalating issues along with additional viable options
- Communicates clearly through verbal team updates and written project summaries (status, issues or risks) with peers and senior level leaders.
- Delivers tailored communications for the receiving audience.
- Demonstrates active listening and confirms understanding.
- Able to maintain regular, effective communications with the project team, resource managers and sponsors.
- Leads the development of a comprehensive communication plan with team members, stakeholders and / or customers.
- Proven ability to apply appropriate communication, facilitation & escalation skills to ensure effective information exchange.
- Capable of clearly communicating project scope and objectives to the team.
- Has the ability to know when and which stakeholders to engage to resolve issues.
- Effective in creating a positive working environment within the project team that encourages collaboration and innovation.
- Creates leadership presence that instills a level of confidence in team members and stakeholders that project manager can drive successful project outcome.
- Knowledge of policies, practices, trends, and technology developments to help drive decision making to reduce project risk and achieve project results.
- Capable of using applicable EPMO processes and procedures required to accomplish assigned work (i.e.: procurement process, contracting, legal, etc.).
- Able to clearly articulate how a project strategically aligns with KDGs.
- Required to understand core businesses and the functions that support them.
- Can identify key project stakeholders and understand their goals and motivations for the project.
- Capable of demonstrating a knowledge of regional concerns and differences. Able to recognize their impact on project planning & execution.
- Ability to utilize the resources, tools and processes available to direct how to get things done ;strong knowledge of who to turn to for guidance, direction and assistance.
- Required to know who the key decision makers are across the EPMO and knowledge of top leaders.
- Able to promote cross functional collaboration within assigned project teams.
Supervisory Responsibilities (for people managers)
- Ability to coach and supervise experienced professional associates, usually in a matrix structure as aligned to projects.
- Able to provide honest feedback and hold crucial conversations with direct reports on performance and results and provide input to all HR related matters including annual compensation planning.
- Capable of being a moderate to strong champion for their PMs; influencing program sponsors and stakeholders to remove barriers facing the PM.
Degree of Accountability
- Accountable for setting own work direction and complete work tasks along with setting the direction of assigned project team members or other project managers
- May be accountable for the achievement of key operational or functional goals
- Often plays critical role in key projects / initiatives
- Erroneous decisions may cause delays and result in the allocation of more resources
Breadth of Assignment
- Leads the execution of moderately sized projects
- Required to be able to successfully lead medium to large sized project teams on projects of moderate scope and complexity.
- Capable of managing up to three mid-sized projects (projects of moderate complexity, scope and cost) simultaneously