The VAD provides leadership, prioritization, and management of a regional team of Vaccine Account Managers (VAMs) to achieve Business Unit goals with organized customers to include, but not limited to, administrative and decision making roles of all levels at integrated delivery networks, managed care organizations, state government immunization departments, Federally Qualified Health Clinics, VA, Department of Defense, and buying groups. Significant contract negotiations as well as the ability to teach and hold others accountable for such will be required within region. Regional Directors will have direct impact, via leadership of their assigned region, on the ability to achieve nearly $450 million in revenue.
The VAD must strictly abide by all Pfizer policies, Pfizer Code of Conduct, Corporate Integrity, and all applicable government regulations.
Key Role Dimensions
- Span of Control: ~ 8-12 direct reports including Vaccine Account Managers (VAMs)
- Collaborations with cross... functional team members in Sales, Pharmacy, Marketing, Medical, Contracting, Legal, Commercial Effectiveness and Enablement.
- Budgetary Impact: Target Revenue range of >$450M
- Travel: Within designated states, region and wider HQ locations.
- The Region includes TBD
- The preferred candidate would have US Vaccines experience
Reports into the US National Account Management Lead and sits on the US Vaccine Account Leadership Team
In order of importance, indicate the primary responsibilities critical to the performance of the role. It is recommended not to list actual tasks but focus on 5-8 essential responsibilities that highlight accountability and level of judgment required.
Team Leadership and Maximize Performance
- Leads regional team of VAMs to deliver targeted business outcomes that provide access and create pull through opportunities to Pfizer vaccine products across a complex set of customer channels. These channels include integrated delivery networks, hospital systems, large medical groups, managed care organizations, state immunization departments, Federally Qualified Health Clinics,VA, Department of Defense, and buying groups.
- Leads the execution of contracting strategy by VAMs with targeted customers; becoming involved in the negotiations as needed to optimize results.
- Develops robust regional business plans to maximize the performance of organized customers within the assigned geography and provides business reviews and updates to leadership as appropriate.
- Leads VAM engagement with key decision makers and influencers, including health system management, members of coalitions, advisory groups, and professional associations; becoming involved as needed to optimize results.
- Effectively manages the performance and development of the team of Vaccine Account Managers, providing clear direction, prioritization, coaching, and development feedback. Conducts field rides, business reviews and sets challenging performance objectives. Objectively evaluating direct reports' performance using the Pfizer GPM process.
- Leads and manages projects across functional teams to include but are not limited to marketing, sales leadership, channel solutions, access, strategy, and medical as needed for the U.S. Account Management Organization and when needed the U.S. Vaccines BU.
- Effectively manages all employee relations' issues (with support from Human Resources), including the termination of employees, if needed.
Strategic Account Management
- Annual time horizon: 1-3 years
o Engage, understand, and partner with selected/prioritized/senior customers and stakeholders to better meet/protect/influence customer needs and to create net revenue for Pfizer, over a 1-3 year time horizon.
o Build relationships with key customers, thought leaders and decision makers.
o Assess and understand the medium/long-term healthcare issues, local customer drivers shaping account activity
o Understand policy implications (Healthcare reforms), guide policy strategies and provide advocacy to protect and enhance Pfizer's brand interests
o Identify and share lessons learned from successes and failure with U.S. Vaccine Leadership and cross functional partners
Leadership and Collaboration with Customer Facing Teams:
- Models and drives productive collaboration among regions and across customer facing teams. Collaborating for the creation of clear objectives for the regional team to deliver portfolio objectives.
o Partner with Regional Business Directors (RBDs) and Pharmacy Team to deliver aligned objectives for vaccine customer facing teams who share accountability in an account hierarchy
o Work and align across Regional customer facing leadership and HQ Marketing and/or Strategy teams to help prioritize opportunities for deployment of vaccine customer facing teams
- Align and collaborate as appropriate with Account Management Leadership from other Pfizer BUs (IM, PCA, Oncology, etc.), and ensure direct reports do as well, to maximize results for Pfizer Inc.
Integration and Collaboration with Key Internal Stakeholders
- Actively participates as a key member of the Vaccine Account Leadership team to drive the achievement of U.S. Vaccine and Account Management goals.
- Models and drives productive collaboration with all functional partners to deliver targeted business outcomes to include, but are not limited, to Payer and Channel Access, Government Affairs, Legal, Compliance, Field Medical, Commercial Effectiveness, Market Access, and Brand Marketing.
- Analyzes organizational metrics, data, and market dynamics to develop and prioritize opportunities, formulate business plans, and gain insight into the performance of the region and individual VAMs. Uses this knowledge to keep the regional team and individuals focused on appropriate activities and on the accounts needed to best ensure goal attainment.
- Maintains strong knowledge of the evolving healthcare industry landscape to include, but not limited, to quality measures, health information technology, healthcare funding, and the interactions and interdependencies between healthcare stakeholders.
- Drives innovation and new approaches that help exceed BU business objectives
- Manages the optimal deployment and execution of resources of direct reports (e.g. travel & entertainment budgets, RC approved materials, EZSpeak programs, etc.).
- Ensures account managers are leveraging planning resources (iPlan) to optimize business planning.
- Reinforces utilization of the organizational selling approach (PACE) and programs to continually develop VAM capabilities (VAM Developmental Pathways, Evolving Healthcare Landscape trainings, etc.)
Indicate qualifications that are job related, consistent with business necessity and necessary for the performance of an essential function of this role including: education/licenses/certifications, relevant experience (where legally permissible), technical and/or other job-related skills.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree and / or advanced training preferred
- Minimum of 12 years pharmaceutical, Biotech or medical marketing/sales experience with at least 5 years in a promoted position with demonstrated leadership experience with teams of varying size, location and function. Strong experience in matrix environments is critical.
- Strategy, marketing, or operations experience
- Vaccines experience preferred
- Experience supervising leaders-of-leaders preferred
- Proven track record of leading teams to meet or exceed organizational goals
- Demonstrated negotiating and contracting experience and the ability to teach and hold others accountable to such
- Demonstrated ability to develop and motivate others and lead through change while delivering on Pfizer business imperatives
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a high performance culture within a team
- Demonstrated ability to influence thought leaders and high level decision makers in large group practices, integrated delivery networks, contracting entities, or managed care organizations and the ability to teach and hold others accountable to such
- Deep knowledge of the healthcare industry, quality measures, healthcare funding, and the interactions and interdependencies between healthcare stakeholders and the ability to teach and hold others accountable to such
- Demonstrated excellent prioritization, problem-solving, facilitation, and project management skills and the ability to teach and hold others accountable to such
- Strong ability to leverage data and insights to optimize decision making
- Demonstrated One Pfizer approach by operating above-brand or cross-function/BU on policy and strategic issues
- Demonstrated ability to engage with Pfizer senior leaders to provide marketing and performance updates/answer questions
- Experience leading or selling to state and/or federal government preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office - Excel, PowerPoint, Word, & Outlook
- Candidate must live in or be willing to relocate to a location that is within the region or a commutable distance to region; as approved by Vaccines Account Management Lead
- Ability to travel overnight based on business requirements for the position (approximately 50+% travel)
Additional Position Details
- Last Date to apply: Nov 25, 2020
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: Yes
- Eligible for Relocation Assistance: YES
- Additional Geographic details: Region covers AL, MS, GA, FL, TN, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.