Remote, Work at Home in the United States
Experienced privacy attorney needed to support the Privacy law team responsible for supporting all aspects of Cigna's domestic and international business. This role will provide counsel for privacy and data related client and vendor contractual issues, complex data use issues and ongoing changes and application of the incident response plan. Working with Cigna's Privacy Office and Information Protection Unit, will help develop and shape Cigna's data use and privacy policies and serve as a key strategic partner to Cigna's core business function.
- Counsel and collaborate with multiple internal clients, including the Privacy Office, Technology, Sourcing, Information Security, Clinical, Sales, Account Management, and Internal Audit.
- Counsel entities that must comply with widely varying privacy requirements. Entities include Covered Entities, Business Associates, Hybrid Entities, Data Controllers, Data... Processors, and others.
- Provide legal advice for data loss incident preparation and legal response in collaboration with Information Security staff and the Privacy Office.
- Provide counsel related to advanced and cutting-edge data use and acquisition, as well as data mapping, classification, and related data management and governance.
- Manage complex legal issues and risk related to data use issues under HIPAA and other privacy regulations and use of new and innovative technologies.
- Support the privacy, security, and data protection aspects of relationships and contracts with technology companies, “switch” vendors, HIEs, EMRs, app developers, and data aggregators.
- Interpret and apply privacy and data protection law and contractual requirements to a wide variety of business initiatives, such as (i) the development of clinical programs for patients and plan members; (ii) communications to providers and patients; (iii) policy development; (iv) collaboration and data exchange between affiliated and outside entities; and (v) digital initiatives such as website, email, text, social media, mobile apps, etc.
- Negotiate privacy and data use provisions, consistent with the company’s strategy and goals.
- Collaborate with other attorneys in the Legal Department as a subject matter expert.
- Stay abreast of, and communicate clearly to non-lawyers, changes to or developments in privacy and data protection laws and regulations and their impact on business operations.
- Apply sound business judgment to the provision of legal advice and continuously look for opportunities to improve service.
- Knowledge of the pharmacy benefit management, health plan, insurance, or pharmacy businesses.
- JD required with current ability to practice in an in-house environment.
- 6-8 years of experience advising healthcare organizations on matters including privacy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of privacy laws and regulations, including HIPAA, state privacy and data breach laws, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, CCPA, Part 2, the Privacy Act of 1974, and international data protection laws.
- Understand the overall healthcare legal environment and business, and display a passion for continuous learning about sophisticated privacy and data protection issues.
- Detail orientated with strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously while maintaining high quality and performance under pressure.
- Ability to interact directly with key strategic business partners and provide and communicate appropriate guidance.
- Remote candidates are eligible for this position and a successful candidate must be able to balance responsibilities of working in a remote environment as necessary.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We offer an integrated suite of health services through Cigna, Express Scripts, and our affiliates including medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products. Together, with our 74,000 employees worldwide, we aspire to transform health services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions. Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of health services innovation.
When you work with Cigna, you’ll enjoy meaningful career experiences that enrich people’s lives while working together to make the world a healthier place. What difference will you make? To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Instagram.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the online application process, please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com for support. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response