The opportunity and role overview
Optal is searching for a senior, talented, dynamic, and pragmatic individual to manage the United States specific BSA, AML, and OFAC sanctions programme.
NOTE: Ideally, the role would be based in the New York/Newark/Jersey City or surrounding metropolitan area, for proximity to a potential future United States office and to banking and strategic partners. However, for the right candidate who is willing and available to travel for all on-site state examinations and other necessary meetings, Optal will consider candidates working remotely from other areas within the United States.
Working closely with eNett (as Optal’s key business partner) and Optal’s Group legal and compliance functions, the Head of Risk & Compliance – United States will take over management of the United States compliance programmes and ensure continued adherence to relevant regulatory requirements.
With the support of the State Licensing and Regulatory Compliance Coordinator and... the wider Compliance team, the role will be a key interface between the company, state regulators and banking partners.
In addition to the specific obligations of the regulated business, the role will assist the Board of Optal in maintaining a risk register and overseeing organisational risk more generally. The candidate must be willing to operate at a detailed, operational level, as well as possess broad financial services business experience.
Your primary responsibilities will be
- Oversight of all United States compliance, monitoring and regulatory processes, procedures, and training.
- Coordinating with the global compliance team members to update global policies and procedures.
- Ensure regulatory and legal best practice developments are communicated efficiently and appropriately throughout the business.
- Provide compliance support in relation to new business initiatives.
- Provide a central point for United States risk management within Optal, to ensure transparency and accountability of relevant risk owners.
- Maintenance of the risk register and risk reporting to the Risk Committee and the Group Head of Risk and Compliance in respect of United States matters.
- Supporting Internal Audit implementation, execution, and reporting.
- Working with the executive team and group legal to understand market and regulatory requirements to enable business growth.
- Evaluate and investigate all unusual or potential suspicious activity raised internally in relation to the regulated business in accordance with company policies.
- Submit Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) to FinCEN and manage the overall SAR process for the United States.
- Ensuring any requests from local Law Enforcement agencies are dealt with appropriately.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and coaching to the State Licensing and Regulatory Compliance Coordinator.
Your proven skills include
- Ability to manage and balance commercial and compliance demands.
- Strong communicator with an ability to construct convincing fact-based arguments.
- Strong multi-tasker, able to support broader business needs where existing skills are complementary.
- Subject matter expertise, credibility, strong strategic judgment, and good creative problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work flexibly, including to maintain liaison with global offices of the Optal Group.
- Ability to work closely with a highly entrepreneurial group executive team, networking internally and building confidence.
- High energy, proactive and self-motivated.
- Mentally agile and confident in a highly changeable environment
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- At ease conducting meetings and presentations to different levels of staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Your qualifications and experience include
Preferably, you will have 7 or more years of relevant United States BSA/AML/OFAC experience, with at least 2 years of experience as a board designated BSA Compliance Officer.
You should hold a relevant industry certification (such as ACAMS).
You must have expertise in the practical application of United States BSA/AML/OFAC regulations and strong knowledge of the United States regulatory regime affecting state licensed financial services businesses (Money Services Businesses