Freelance Product Project Manager
Lumina is looking for talented and experienced freelance project managers to take on full-service projects of varying types and in different disciplines. The project manager (PM) will handle the complete production process from manuscript turnover through final deliverables (whether that’s releasing files to a printer, for online courseware delivery or other digital product, or multiple deliverables). We are interested in developing lasting relationships with freelance PMs willing to handle anywhere from one project at a time to a full-time workload. This is a fully remote position with relatively flexible hours (though at least some availability between 9:00am–5:00pm EST will be needed). Rates vary depending on project complexity.
PM responsibilities for a typical project include:
- Working within Lumina systems, publisher systems, and Smartsheet to traffic/monitor work and schedules.
- Creating and managing the entire production... schedule, ensuring that all components stay on track to meet final due dates.
- Overseeing and ensuring all required workflow and processes are being followed and adhered to and troubleshoot and provide support to resolve any issues, blockers.
- Working with and managing author(s) and/or developmental editor(s). Most correspondence can be done by email, but occasional phone calls will be needed.
- Overseeing copyediting, proofreading, and indexing.
- Managing the design process.
- Overseeing the art program—determining any art needs and ensuring that art is produced according to schedule (including accessibility checks).
- Coordinating with Permission Specialist on the photo program, ensuring hi-res photo files and credit/source lines are delivered according to schedule.
- Managing the offshore production team for typecoding, page layout, and corrections processes and including the offshore content development team for alternative text evaluation, authoring and corrections.
- Coordinating with a paired offshore PM who will support several tasks throughout the production process.
- Working with publisher contacts—sending weekly status reports, attending status meetings, and/or being available for phone calls should questions/issues arise.
- Ensuring the overall timeliness of all deliverables.
- Quality assurance checks at all deliverable stages.
- Some working knowledge of or experience in higher education production processes and workflows (preferably on the vendor side).
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to learn digital systems quickly and operate within them comfortably
- Excellent multi-tasking and prioritizing skills
- High attention to detail and organization
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Please note that this position must be based in the United States