The Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing legal advice and assistance to companies within a portfolio of companies, with offices and employees in the United States and Canada. Reporting directly to Legal Counsel and the Portfolio Manager and indirectly to the General Counsel of Volaris, you will be the first and primary legal contact for fast growing vertical market software companies providing legal support primarily to the sales and finance organizations.
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing legal advice and assistance to companies within the a portfolio of companies, with offices and employees throughout the United States and Canada and customers around the world. Reporting directly to Legal Counsel and the portfolio manager and indirectly to the General Counsel of Volaris, you will be part of a small team that is the first and primary legal contact for fast growing vertical market software companies providing legal support primarily to... the sales and finance organizations. This role requires a lawyer with strong business acumen who can work remotely, independently, and juggle multiple priorities and leaders in a fast moving and often shifting work environment. You don’t need a computer science background but you do need to know your way around commercial agreements, including agreements for software license and related services because you will see a lot of them. The successful candidate will be part of a team of lawyers for this portfolio of companies and will join a growing and diverse international legal team.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts from company templates or customer paper (NDAs, software license agreements, SaaS agreements, professional service agreements, supplier contracts, distribution agreements, etc.)
- Reviewing and advising on legal terms related to RFP submissions
- Acquisition assistance (primarily due diligence related)
- Enforcing corporate policies and ensuring that all contracts meet corporate risk standards
- Overall contract administration – ensuring that all contracts are suitably recorded and that all documentation is properly stored
- Working closely with and communicating regularly with other members of the legal team supporting your portfolio of companies and the group legal team
- Managing and coordinating with external counsel on specific legal matters or engagement as needed
- Anticipating, guarding against, and advising all levels of the business organization on legal risks involving the companies under your portfolio
- Communicating orally and in writing with all levels of organization (internally and with customers and suppliers)
- Prioritizing multiple projects from different companies and requestors.
Qualifications & Skills:
- The successful candidate is required to hold a law degree and is currently licensed to practice law in at least one State within the United States
- Candidates should be experienced in negotiating all sizes of commercial contracts; specific experience in IP/IT software licensing contracts, SaaS, and professional services agreements is essential
- Experience with public procurement and government contracting practices would be an asset
- 2 to 4 years of relevant experience at a law firm or in-house legal department
- General knowledge of data security and privacy laws would be a plus
- Willingness to work remotely and occasional travel to other office locations and for client site visits
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools